Sunday, January 30, 2011

weekend in nairobi, take 1.

This past weekend was lovely and full of new friends in Nairobi. Friday afternoon, Federico and I went to Nakumatt to get party preparations and it felt good, to be in a friend’s car and buying food and beer for expecting guests. I took advantage of bringing the car and bought a yoga mat (awkward to walk home with one of those here) and it will hopefully bring me endless happiness in the mornings before work. Then the festivities began. My “cooking” skills weren’t impressive enough for my Italian-born roommate, so he swiftly took over the pasta and I just made sure everyone had enough to drink and people to converse with. It was a wild success. I called upon every person in Nairobi I knew, even on the peripheral, and people came! and drank! and ate! and spontaneously danced even. Then we wandered out to the bar/night club that is a stone’s throw away and kept dancing. We got home and decided we would wait until morning to tackle the kitchen clean-up.

federico and i

beautiful ann

new friends

laura and two women from work, guarding the desserts

Saturday, I recovered. Went to breakfast with Ann and napped and read the news in bed. I also paid my rent. It’s really hard to pass the street kids here. Last year, in Eldoret spending time at Tumaini minimized the wealthy, white-person guilt I felt when walking around town. The town was small. I knew (some of) the street kids, and I knew just enough Swahili to joke and I felt okay buying them a loaf of bread, ‘cause I knew on Monday they would put down their glue bottles for a few hours and come do math problems. In Nairobi, it’s completely different. I don’t know anyone I pass on the street. The kids anxiously skip across the street to strategically position themselves in my path and look as helpless as possible and put out their hand. And I greet them and it’s always followed by “sina pesa, pole.” But that is a big ole lie. I turned down two street kids while I walked with my month’s rent IN CASH in my backpack. As if there was any doubt, I pay more in monthly rent than most Kenyans make in a year. It just makes me feel dirty. Lying to an 8 year old. But the alternative is impossible. I can’t give out money, ‘cause then I’ll just perpetuate the problem of white people being banks. And I only have 4 t-shirts here, so I think word would spread and the kids would start to recognize me. “Oh! the mzungu that hands out 20 bob when she walks from the nice mall to her nicer apartment! She’s there!” Wealth disparity is just very in your face in Nairobi. But, I’d prefer the daily reminder over putting poor children on a bus and shipping them out of town. (which I’m sure they do anyway, I’m just naive). I’m comfortable. I made my bed of luxury, I need to lay in it.

Following my inner monologue about my wealth situation, I went to a graduation ceremony from the Kibera Film School (a production company who has made this great film, Togetherness Supreme) with Federico where he was the “Chief Guest”. We, sadly, didn’t know how important he was and were 2 hours late to the event. Africa-time got the best of us. We failed. But he gave a speech and was such a good Chief Guest. That night the internet entertained me and I fell asleep early.

the chief guest!

screening the short films

Sunday I woke up and went on a hike with new-friend-from-DC, Matt, who I met at the film school the day before, his Kenyan roommate and two British girls who are hanging out in Kenya working for various NGOs and backpacking around. It was a good long walk in the sun in the Ngong Hills (about 30 mins outside of Nairobi). We wandered over 1 hill (there are 8, and we arrogantly thought we could conquer them all), came back to my apartment and went for a swim and then had dinner at the place across the street. My apartment could use a little cleaning, I will do that tonight. It was interesting to spend a day with transient people with backpacks. I don’t live here for long, but I do live here right now, and I have to get up early every morning and put on my Gap clothes and go to work. Every day. Monday through Friday. For really the first time in my adult life. Spending the day with them was just like being forced to see how I’m changing a bit.

a view from the base of hill #1

progress in the ngong hills

I think I would love this video. But the internet has taken 2+ days to load it, and I may never get to know, but you can fill me in on how wonderful it is.

and i got justin's birthday present, and it warmed my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment