Friday, January 28, 2011

tgif

"i don't need friends, i have a usb modem"-anonymous

It is Friday here. It will be Friday where you are in 10 hours or less! (the world is so small) This week passed without much happening, but it flew by. The highlight was finding an old college friend that coincidentally lives down the street from me! So we had dinner and it was nice to catch up on the past 4 years, she writes for the Enough! Project, and you can read her good work here. I also got lights put in above my cubicle. I think the handy man took a light from 4 fixtures around the office and combined them above my cubicle, but whatever gets the job done. There has also been less traffic on the road. It is hypothesized that it's because it's the end of the month and people can't afford gas money until their next paycheck.

Otherwise, I read a lot of blogs. And this article by Kristof about Catholic Hospitals. Learned a bit about Microsoft Access to build databases. G-chatted all day with other fellows at desks around E. Africa. Listened to this song a lot. Read this article about the culture of elitism. Quote: "The main culprits turn out to be people for whom a monied and therefore educated background lies behind the adoption of aesthetic, intellectual, or political values that demur from the money-making mandate that otherwise dominates society." (I keep a blog, about my comfortable (adventurous?), brief life in a foreign place, made possible by my graduate school grant, i think i may fall into this). I bought some books. I ate (early) Valentine's Day candy (thanks, mom!). And I ran on the treadmill for a combined total of 35 minutes (probably over 3 days). I went to the orphanage and held a chubby baby boy until he fell asleep. It was a good week though. Scheduled and robotic. The kind of time that makes me feel as though I am building a resemblance of a life here.

I also discovered this fact sheet on my desk, which shows where most refugees are resettled from in Africa:

1 comment: