So, i should start this post with the acknowledgment that my friend, Grunder, should get the music credit for directing me to the band, Snowden, which I linked to in the last post. (He realllly wanted to make sure you knew that. {winky face!})
In Kenya recently, Luis Moreno-Ocampo (the chief prosecutor at the ICC) indicted six men for participating in facilitation of the post-election violence in 2008. There has been some hoopla 'cause the Kenyan government (and a significant amount of people) believe and want the "Ocampo 6" to be tried in Kenya, as a testament to their success as a state. It seems clear that this is just a dodgy way to let the cronies get away with their (potential) war crimes. And two of them are potential presidential candidates in 2012. {I smell a conflict of judicial interest} But it's really divided people a bit. One man (after a few beers) jumped down my throat when I said I was from the States. Blabbering something about how we called upon his political leaders to be tried for crimes they didn't do, etc etc. Unbeknown to this drunk countryman, the U.S. isn't a signatory member of the ICC, so he was getting upset for nothing. (However, Obama recently did say he supports the Ocampo 6 being tried outside of Kenya). Now the government of Kenya have called on two British lawyers who have defended Charles Taylor and Slobodan Milosovic (I'm not sure how they sleep at night) to try to defend these men for the international community. But, I think the ICC will stand and if trial is going on in 2012 (which is likely) then the future of Kenya's political climate could change.
Well, now you're all caught up on Kenya's politics. That's what I read all about while sitting in a bar on Sunday and eating roasted goat meat and drinking warm Tusker. People share newspapers. One person buys it and he is the true owner, but it gets passed about a bus, bar, street corner, etc. It's a reasonable, cost-effective way to know what's going on. This weekend was....fun. We did a lot of dancing and drinking. I spent my days laying on my couch and by the pool, watching mad men (which i finished. it is a great show.) and reading. Met some new faces, spent some quality time with my roommate and on Saturday night, I got my wallet stolen. They got $40 and my sense of pride.
damn nairobbery.
On Sunday, I went with Roy, Matt and Steph to a soccer match in Eastlands (old, seemingly athletic kenyan men drink beer and play soccer). It was a nice way to spend a Sunday. We had goat meat and sat around with about 60 jovial Kenyan men (who were not in church...?)
this morning i read that this guy saw a depressing, truthful version of Dubai. and my heart goes out to Japan. these photos are serious. and this article ("he slept with the house help and now i want out") was a "Most Viewed" on the local newspaper. Uh Oh.
Sunday, March 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment