I've been researching refugee movement from E. Africa for a presentation I'll give before I leave the CDC (in a mere 3 weeks). The numbers for this year are not looking good: there is a ceiling of 15,500 refugees from SS Africa, but as of now, less than 5,000 have been resettled. This is due to increased security measures and strict interview protocols (that continued 'War on Terror' is felt by hundreds of thousands of innocent Somali refugees). Also, of 1,000 refugees only 4 get resettled. So, next time you see a refugee family attempting to navigate the bus, remember that there are 996 more biding time on a camp in the desert somewhere. It's daunting. I also watched the documentary "The Letter" about Lewiston, Maine and what happened when a number of Somali refugees moved there and ignorance fueled a pretty large crisis following 9/11/01.
This past weekend Matt, Roy and I went back to Eldoret for a GWU MPH Fellow reunion. And it was awesome. Delicious Indian food. Late night dancing at Spree. Enough drama to keep it interesting. Reunion with Andrew and Jani and a trip to the farm for sundowners which ended in goofy games, trips down memory lane and missing the bus out of Eldoret on Sunday night. I also got to see Purity and Leon and he is getting so big! and was wearing mock Converse high tops, of course.
I've started watching 'the wire', I made a green curry, I run on the treadmill, I buy things at the grocery store, I'm nearly done with reading Cutting for Stone (i think it means i'm not reading enough, when i'm excited enough to announce the fact i've finished a book), there is karaoke tonight, party at our apartment on Friday, my camera charger came (so let the rebirth of the photos begin!), and this song is sexy, and I watched Rives tell a story:
No comments:
Post a Comment