Thursday, October 2, 2008

We're going to win

Hannah with all the great people of Las Cruces.


Governor Sebelius


Just being a fan


The act immediately after us in Mesilla Plaza


when there is nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.

It's late here, as per usual. We just watched the VP debates with about 40 community members--and I have to say Sarah Palin did a good job reciting her memorized flash cards of nuclear power houses. Her constant winking at the screen creeped me out a bit--but she's cute so she can wink at whomever she wants. Immediately following the debate, a woman I had met before who had been in Iraq and has suffered from PSD, came into the office, tearing up, more or less in her pajamas and said "What she just said were all lies about Iraq. What can I do?" She's coming to make calls tomorrow evening.

A few days ago we had an event with Governor Sebelius from Kansas--which was apparently a much bigger deal than I realized, as she was on the short list for Obama's running mate. Personally, I enjoyed sneaking away afterward to the local dive bar to have a delicious margarita with the Republicans, who chose to drink instead of listen to the talk. It was a good event; it becomes so much more logistical and less inspiring each time, but nice nonetheless. The following day I had the privilege of going to a pro-gun rally with Governor Richardson. I learned that people here hunt doves and quails. I stopped asking questions after that.

In other, more exciting news, I found a job. I am getting paid to canvas with Progressive Futures here about 20 hours a week. Essentially, I am doing that same thing, it's just lining my pockets in the meantime and I have to wear a different button and t-shirt.

Last night, Allison and I drove to Silver City to spend the night with another group of Field Organizers. Silver City is a paradox here. It's a random hippy-tastic town with Fair Trade coffee and local artists smack dab in the desert. The office there is smaller, but has charm. I think I'll go back there for a little while after this weekend. And it's colder there, so I can wear scarves without looking like a jackass, which is clearly what I am most concerned about at this point.

Eva Longoria is coming this weekend. Don't be too jealous. And the McCain campaign pulled out of Michigan--essentially admitting defeat there. That news, an adorable baby who hung out with Mamas for Obamas, and my 6-pack of Red Bull that was on sale at the local Wal-Mart were the highlights of my day.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good fight! It's good to hear what you're up to.

    ReplyDelete