Monday, February 28, 2011

not malaria

I'm a horrible patient. I absolutely hate being sick and i whine a lot and feel sorry for myself. Yesterday evening i spent almost 4 hours in the hospital. I left work after a mere hour of computer-time 'cause i was feverish and had muscle aches and was getting dizzy. i came home, slept soundly and watched some mad men. then federico came home. federico, i learned (rightfully so?) is terrified of malaria. we sat at our kitchen table and did a rapid self-administered test that he had in his closet. it was a sight. me: in sweatpants, feverish, trying to make jokes and federico reading the instructions and wondering why my finger isn't producing enough blood for the test. We had to prick my finger 4+ times to get a solid drop of blood.

It was negative, but we went to the hospital anyway. we waited. i got more blood taken. we watched bad mexican soap operas dubbed in english. we waited some more. federico had to leave. i waited more. the test came back and it was negative! i took a taxi home and went to bed. it cost me $60 to quickly meet with a doctor and learn i didn't have malaria.

This past weekend, I went on a couple adventures. My buddy Matt and I and Co. went to another part of Nairobi for roasted goat meat. We sat in the little hotel and waited for our selection to be cooked. (You go to the butcher, chose your meat, then wait in the hotel while they cook it) It took a couple hours, so we had some beer and watched the news in Swahili with drunk Kenyan men then we braved the matatu back at night, which is actually fine, I've just gotten quite used to tucking my cell phone and credit card in my bra (if I am to be robbed, at least I can call someone and take out money?) Then on Saturday I went to Eldoret for a night. I saw Regina and Leon and sat with her and her soda-selling business. I went out to spree with a few good people. I had a nice mama mia's lunch with Jani. I stayed at a hotel in town that had "free" breakfast. The room where you ate breakfast had praise-jesus music playing by 6am, a huge mural of a N. American-looking lake and mountain vista and a half-full fish tank with 2 goldfish. It was classy. I also rode the bus for 5 hours each way. On the way out to Eldoret I sat in the middle of two men. Kenyan's don't like a windy bus ride, I've learned. So, it's a constant passive aggressive fight about much to keep the window open. I would love the window all the way open. It's warm out, let's feel the breeze in our hair, eh? But, no, Kenyans like to keep the windows closed. It's warmer, not as a noisy, etc. So, the politically correct thing to do is wait till the window-sitter has fallen asleep then if you're in the middle, you can adjust the window. I did it. On the way back to Nairobi I had the window seat and every time I woke up from a doze, the window was closed. It's a fun game.

I also walked around Eldoret all morning long (the hotel was LOUD by 6am, so I didn't have much choice). I got shamelessly heckled until I found a nice bench that was secluded and I sat there and daydreamed for over an hour. An elderly woman and her grandson came in and sat down. He was so sweet to her until she couldn't find her change in her purse. I adored the whole scene. I eavesdropped for too long. She sat, hunchbacked, in an old sweater and drank a big bottle of Coke and had a muffin. Too cute.

My camera battery charger is missing, so no photos for awhile. I've been listening to this song a lot. Read this article about yoga. And, that's all I got. Nursing a mild illness is pretty boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment